Thursday, October 25, 2012

31 for 21: Day 24 The R- Word

On Spread the Word to End the Word Day, (3/7/12) I wrote a posting about how I used to use and hear the R- word and not really have a problem with it. The other day I over heard someone using the word, they weren't initially using to insult someone it was one of those not really thinking times. He didn't know that I have a daughter with Down Syndrome. Because it wasn't said vindictively I wasn't sure if I should say something. I thought to myself I don't want to be little this person just educate them.

So I dove in and asked him if he really felt like a retard and if he actually knew what implications that word has on other people. At first he took it as me lecturing him, which wasn't really want I wanted. I explain that people who have Down Syndrome and their loved ones do not like the everyday misuse of the word. In the end I think he appreciated me informing him, if not at least he will rethink the next time he may use that word.


No comments:

Post a Comment