Sunday, December 4, 2011

Polar Bear Plunge 2012

Before I was pregnant with Piper I never imagined I would have a daughter with Down Syndrome. When I was in high school I volunteered with the Special Olympics and I got a great sense of fulfillment helping out and seeing the athletes so full of energy and so happy to be participating.  In my eyes they were like any other child and now that Piper is in my life I look back on those days and hope that Piper will be able to participate in the Special Olympics and be as happy as the children I once helped seemed.

Last year Mark (my husband) participated in the Polar Bear Plunge in Seaside Heights New Jersey,  which raises money for the Special Olympics by having thousands of people gain sponsorship for the seemingly self punishing act of running into the Atlantic Ocean in the heart of a Wintery February. He was a member of the CAT crew which is in honor of our friend Colin who also has DS. This year I will be joining him and the rest of the CAT crew alongside thousands of others taking the plunge but this year Mark and I will be talking the plunge in honor of both Colin and Piper together. I am already exited for Piper's involvement in the Special Olympics some time in the not-too-distant future.

If you are interested in donating to the Polar Bear Plunge please check out this link:

Polar Bear Plunge

No comments:

Post a Comment